This is a turtle who, as a baby, was caught in a plastic band from ocean trash.
- There our trash islands located in every ocean on our planet.
- The one in the Pacific between California and Japan is so large it is twice the size of the state of Texas!
- Most of the trash is plastic.
- San Francisco just became the first major U.S. city to ban the use of plastic bags in major grocers/drugstores. :-D!
See it for yourself. Oprah's Earth Day show on the trash islands
I am not the best example out there. I have my share of bad habits that I need to change, but I saw this photo of a turtle and other marine life that has been killed or deformed by our collective bad habits. My heart cries, my eyes teared up. I know this is going on, but I allow myself to forget, to get into those bad habits again.
Please Gaia! Don't let me forget. I offered my service to this planet a long time ago, and I intend to keep it. I need to do more.
1. Go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Ran
2. Click http://www.quotationspage.com/random.php
3. Visit http://www.flickr.com/explore/interestin
4. Use your graphics program of choice to throw them together, and post the result. Ask someone else to play, if you want.
Here are mine.
Artist: Bat Thing
Image courtesy of http://www.flickr.com/photos/
Album name from quote by Edward Spenser
Excerpt from their main page:
>>"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London
This is the club. Each February, FAWM.ORG forges a collaborative community where thousands of musicians of all walks and skill levels write an album's worth of material in the shortest month of the year. That's roughly one tune every other day. "Fawmers" are a mix of music professionals, students, homemakers, and folks who work dayjobs but rock nightclubs.<<
As usual, I am finding this as it is almost over, but thankfully it is an annually occuring event, much like Nanowrimo.
Check out this lovely song
scroll to the right to see the lightning. I am not sure which I would be watching more, the lightning or the fireworks. I think lightning. Natures own firework display.
I decided to join the rest of the free world and get an Mp3 player finally. I figure that there should be some good ones at reasonable prices these days.
Does anyone have any good recommendations for devices that they love? Or even ones to stay away from?
Basically I want the screen display, not the shuffle, and I don't really care that much about having video capability. I like the ipod nano for size. I had a recommendation today for the Creative Zen mp3 because you aren't as locked into Itunes that way. Also I am not as concerned about having one with a huge memory at this stage, just a descent space for songs.
Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Transmigrated from veleda
The What Middle Earth race do you belong to Test
FYI, your polar opposite is the Troll.
I went to the following site because I am doing some personal research on Iran and Persian History & Culture.
I get these silly email forwards sent to me with photos of American soldiers over in the Middle East, cradling Iraqi babies, or helping old veiled ladies across the street. It's propaganda and I don't like it! I do, however, believe that people need to see the human face of war. Because we forget when all we hear our numbers and statistics and most of us would just as soon tune it out and get on with our personal struggles. But don't send these to me hoping to elicit support for the war, because you won't get it. If anything, I see these human faces and want them to come home! I see the faces of the people of Iran in that presentation and I want peace for them so much! I think the area of the Middle East that breaks my heart the most is Israel/Palestine, but these images of that area that are in my head are those of bomb explosions and bloody people being carried through the streets...and I don't have enough slice of life images to help balance what is really going on. I didn't mean to go on a little rant about this, but I am glad that my heart quakes with emotion about these issues. We are one world. We are one family. These are not just new age catch phrases to me. As part of my own personal Great Work, there is global work, and I want to continue to support awareness and peace.
- Sausage is believed to have been invented by the Sumerians around 3000 B.C.
- The early Catholic Church once made eating sausage a sin. **see footnote
- And Emperor Constantine actually banned the eating of it all together.
- A "Kielbasa" to the U.S. is really a "Cabana" in Australia
- Haggis sounds and probably IS disgusting
- A 'Slim Jim' is actually a pickled sausage, but they thought the term "Beef Stick" would be more appetizing.
- The people of the U.K. are crazy about teh sausage. Bangers and this, bangers and that....
- America, guess what? The Hot Dog.....IS actually a sausage, not some kind of food genre of its own. Shocking.
- The casing of sausages used to be, (and in some places still is), the intestines of the animal. Mmmmmm. :-P
- In some parts of the world you should be careful about ordering a hot dog sausage, unless you want real dog.
(From Wiki) >"During the reign of the Roman emperor Nero, sausages were associated with the Lupercalia festival. The early Catholic Church outlawed the Lupercalia Festival and made eating sausage a sin. For this reason, the Roman emperor Constantine banned the eating of sausages."<
Just in case it didn't link it above, the wiki article on the Lupercalia Festival is an interesting read. Some Highlights:
- Young priests (Luperci) are dressed in only goatskins approach the altar after 2 male goats & a dog have been sacrificially killed. Their foreheads are annointed with the bloods of the animals & other magicky things commence.
- At the feast that follows the Luperci cut off 2 throngs of goat skin, drop trou (rather drop goatskin), and run off into the city to flog the Roman citizens, especially women looking for fertility magic, all in the name of LUPA: Great She-Wolf who nursed Remus & Romulus.
The good, unlearned books say that He who keeps the distant stars within His fold comes without intermediary, but Plutarch's precepts and the experience of old women in Soho, ministering their witchcraft to servant girls at a shilling apiece, will have it that a strange living man may win for Daimon an illustrious dead man; but now I add another thought: the Daimon comes not as like to like but seeking its own opposite, for man and Daimon feed the hunger in one another's hearts. Because the ghost is simple, the man heterogeneous and confused, they are but knit together when the man has found a mask whose lineaments permit the expression of all the man most lacks, and it may be dreads, and of that only. (PASL, 335)
The mask helped the man to purify his intent, becoming single-minded and contemplative instead of "heterogeneous and confused."
I want someone to invent this for me.
'A pocket dictionary pen.'
This is for when I am reading and I come across a word that I want to look up in the dictionary, but don't want to have to run to look it up all the time. Especially useful when reading books where I need to look up a lot of words.
It would be like a highlighter pen where you run the pen across the word, except it would have a scanner device built into it. You press down as you sweep across the word and the light comes on and it scans the word into its little computer, and then looks up the definition from its dictionary database, and reads you the definition outloud in a computerized voice.
It could be worked into combination as a bookmark as well. This way it is right there to use at your fingertips.
So come on electronic geeks out there, go make this for me.....get rich and then remember me when the money starts rolling in. At the very least I want a lifetime supply of dictionary pens.
When I was a kid my best friend and I came up with good ideas all the time. We wanted some company to hire us to sit in a think box and come up with ideas for them. A think box where we had snacks and all the luxuries we could want, and only had to work for 4 hours a day, yet get paid obnoxiously for it. hee hee. Consequently, I still want this. Think Box Head Hunters.......*points to self* Im ya girl. Yep. Right here. Mee.
Type in a name and Google will deliver it back to you in really funny sentences & combinations.
This was my favorite. Type in any website and select one of the dialects (Redneck, Jive Turkey, Elmer Fudd, etc) and it will translate the page for you. Using it with livejournal is hillarious! Disclaimer: Apologies if you are a redneck, jive daddy or Elmer Fudd....I am not making fun of you. Much. :-P
This looks like a great event! I wish that I lived closer to attend. Click on the this link to find out more!
I am so proud of the hard work that has been put in by veleda , Pantheogenesis & the people at Isis Oasis. You guys rock! Thank you for making our magickal dreams come true!