The lecture was on deep sea exploration off the coasts of Australia. Since it was a free public lecture there was a bit of fundraising and public awareness worked into it. I have to admit that it is pretty sad how little the Aussie government supports marine research considering it is an island nation with huge expanses of coastline & the world famous Great Barrier Reef. The budget only allows for one boat, a tiny research vessel, and that funding is over next year, so in 2009 Australian marine labs won't even have a boat to use. The presenters talked about the fact that we currently know more about the moon than we do our own planet's oceans. We have only explored about 6% of the world's underwater terrain, leaving the remaining 94% totally undiscovered.
This message has been brought to you by the makers of "Captain Gordon's Unagi Snackers", and "Tricky Seal Diving Insurance. Don't leave home without it."